Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Matsumoto Shave Ice


I had heard a lot of great things about this particular shave ice place and so I had to put it on my to-do list. I've never been a fan of shave ice or icees before, but everyone said this place was so good, and seriously it's just flavoring on a bunch of ice, how could you not like it, right?

I honestly believe I am the only person who has ever tried Matsumoto shave ice and doesn't like it. In fact, not only do I not like it, just writing this post and thinking about it makes me want to vomit.

But don't let my odd pickiness about food deter you from going there. Like I mentioned, everyone else who has ever been there loves it.

There are a ridiculous number of flavors to choose from. Everything from strawberry or blueberry, to cotton candy or white cake and all the random flavors in between.

The thing that makes this shave ice special is that you can get a scoop of ice cream in it. (I ate the ice cream and left the rest of the ice.

If you pay .30 cents extra you can get a little plastic holder for your shave ice so it doesn't spill all over you.

It comes in two sizes, small and large. They don't give you a spoon, just one of those little wooden things (see the picture).

There are also no picnic tables or anything. There are just a few benches to sit on.


There is really not a lot of parking. You just have to be lucky when you go and hope that a space is open. The shave ice is sold inside a little souvenir type shop, so like everywhere else in Hawaii, you can buy some useless trinket that you'll lose two weeks after you get home.

So go ahead and join the rest of the free world in determining that I am crazy and this shave ice is the best thing since sliced bread. I won't be offended.

What did you think of Shave ice in Hawaii?

No comments:

Post a Comment