Sunday, September 2, 2012

I am an intern!

I love my internship. I really do. I just finished week one and I wish I was doing that full time instead of working at the bay. Too bad I'm not getting paid, or that might be an option haha. On my first day, I basically just got to know the station, met a bunch of people, and learned how to write a web story. I was pretty low key. This is what I wore:

The top picture in this set is my parking pass hanging in the hummer.
The bottom right is my new little news notebook that I've been taking notes in.

Since the first day was so low key, I didn't hesitate in wearing a pair of unbelievably adorable shoes, despite how uncomfortable they were. Check it out:


I firmly believe that the best form of confidence is a good outfit. How can you feel confident if you don't like how you look??
Of course this would be the day that Ms. S. sent me out on a story. I was a little nervous going into it. I mean here I am, my second day on the internship and she already wants me to go interview people and write a story for it. Um woah. Fortunately for me it wasn't like my BYU class and I wasn't going out with a camera by myself.
The photographer that came with me was awesome. His name is George.
That's George behind the camera in the blue shirt.
He was just so nice and gave me a run-through of the shots he planned to get and made me feel really comfortable and not nervous or stressed about the whole thing. We chatted the whole way to where we were shooting and I really liked getting to know him. 

So what was the story you ask? A brand new 'green' library grand opening on a college campus. When Ms. S. sent me out, she told me to take a few pictures with my iphone for the web story and in case the web guy wants to do a slideshow. So I took about a thousand pictures. Seriously. I didn't know what would be good and I wanted to get everything. Too bad the web guy only wanted two. Bummer. So I'll share them with you instead.
Instead of ribbon cutting, they do lei untying. This is a traditional Hawaiian lei.

This guy blessed the library. He blessed the original library and also did the lei untying. He walked around afterward and sprinkled holy water everywhere.

These pics aren't that great because of where the light was. But this was the time capsule vault and the head librarians and a student sealed it. They were very active in getting this library built. The two in the bottom pictures were the ones I interviewed.

When I interviewed them it was like all of a sudden I was Barbara Walters and could think up really good questions and whatnot. George even said I did a good job and he was impressed.

Just pictures of the library. The last bottom left is the in house coffee shop.

By the end of this adventure, my feet were killing me, but I still looked good. I ended up staying an hour later to get everything finished. It was hectic but in the end I had a great day. Corporate was even in town and everyone got free pizza! Even me!

The next day I couldn't stay for long so I didn't have time to go out on a story but that didn't keep me from writing the VO/SOT and web story of a new McDonald's pedestrian safety program. Here's the link to my web story.
I know you're very disappointed to hear that I didn't remember to take a picture of what I was wearing. It was a cute summery skirt (white with blue flowers) and a hot pink v-neck T, with flip flops (or slippers as they call them in Hawaii) that have a little medallion thing in the middle.

On Friday I did the morning show which was fun, but I didn't have a lot to do. It was kind of a hectic day for the producers so they didn't have time to give me jobs to do or show me around. This is what I wore:
I love the ruffles on this blazer. Consequently I bought it at the same time I got those shoes.
I did happen to see a TV star and I didn't even know it: Mariska Hargitay. Apparently she's on Law and Order SVU which according to Chris is an old people show.


Anyway, I am really loving being an intern and I'm trying to take advantage of every little moment and not wish it away. I'm also trying to ignore the fact that I need to pay tuition.







1 comment:

  1. SO FUN! And damn...you look good. I would watch the news if you were on it.

    ReplyDelete