Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Babyland General Hospital (Cabbage Patch land)

The Saturday before I left Georgia, my mom took Evelyn and I to the Babyland General Hospital. For those of you who have never heard of it, it's basically a huge toy store for Cabbage Patch dolls but it's set up like a hospital.

I used to love going when I was a kid. And when I was a little older than a kid. I've always loved dolls and the way they had it set up was so fun. You could walk through a baby nursery and the NICU. Then there was a whole schoolroom setup and playground scene. The main room was set up like an enchanted forest and had cabbage plants everywhere with babies growing out of them. There were twinkling lights and little fairies and a huge tree where a baby was born every time you visited. 

Since I was a kid, they built a new location and redid everything. I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed. Maybe it's because everything is better when you're a kid but I'm thinking it was mostly because they transformed it from a cool exhibit to basically a big toy store. You can still walk through some baby nurseries but they aren't staged...it's just a bunch of baby dolls in cribs.

The exterior of the new building is incredible!



The inside was less impressive compared to the old one.




They still had the tree and Evelyn got to watch a baby being born, but I'm not sure she knew what was going on.



One lucky person from the crowd gets to pick the new baby's name and gender.


During the "birth" a "nurse" spouts some labor puns that are pretty cheesy.


When all is said and done you can watch the baby's newborn tests from a window.


Evelyn still had fun. She loved running around and playing with the dolls and other toys they had for sale.





I even found one I wanted to get for her and it was on the cheaper end considering you could easily drop $80 in there without thinking. But I eventually realized that it was my inner child that wanted the doll more than Evelyn cared about it.


All in all it was a fun day and if you're visiting that part of Georgia with a doll-loving kid it'd still be worth it to stop by. But I wouldn't go too out of your way to get there unless you're cabbage patch doll obsessed.

For lunch we went to an Atlanta favorite, The Varsity. The closest restaurant to Babyland is Dairy Queen. If you drive a little further into Dawsonville you'll find The Varsity which has recently expanded from it's Atlanta location. There's a limited hotdog/hamburger menu but it's an Atlanta must. You could also hit the metro location and be overwhelmed by the lunch traffic.

1 comment:

  1. That's so fun!! I would have loooved that growing up (heck, I'd still love it). :)))

    ReplyDelete