Wednesday, September 3, 2014

WPW: Random sentence

Today's prompt got my creative juices flowing. Don't judge me too harshly. And make sure to post your prompt in the comments below!

My sentence is from The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.


I don't want to discuss it, but I feel suddenly determined to have my way. I square my shoulders and open my mouth to respond but Jaime cuts me off.

"It wouldn't hurt to consider some other options."

I usually get what I want, whenever I want it, but there is something about the way Jaime smiles with his eyes when his mother speaks that makes me think he'll take her side. And before I can protest she opens her expertly glossed lips and starts at it again.

"Really dear, eight, or perhaps even six hydrangeas would be lovely. Any more and the guests won't be able to see each other, let alone have a conversation," Mummy dearest says in what I can only assume to be a fake British accent. Jaime beams at her as though she's just discovered the cure for cancer.

The three of us are sitting on the patio of a quaint cafe just down the street from the floral shop where I had insisted, loudly enough for Jaime to suggest that we leave and discuss it elsewhere, that the centerpieces must consist of no less than 12 hydrangeas, 6 ivory and 6 light pink. The stupid florist even had the nerve to side with Lady Mother in Law herself. Isn't there some kind of motto that people in the wedding biz have to stick to like, 'The Bride is Always Right' or something like that? Jaime practically shoved me through the door before I could give her a piece of my mind. He would never have done that if it was just him and I. He would be my knight and defend any idea I could voice, no matter how outlandish, without another comment from anyone.  I blame his stupid mother. I can't believe I'm having to argue about what I want for my wedding. It's MY wedding!

The big day is only a little less than a year away and I have it completely planned out down to the list of songs the string quartet is permitted to play. I know Jaime won't care one way or the other but his mother has got some pretty solid opinions. When he said that she wanted to leave her home in the dreary London wasteland and come help with the planning I figured it would be more convenient to have her credit card more accessible. Now I'm just wishing she had mailed the darn thing and stayed put. Granted I've never been to London myself, but everyone says how rainy it is all the time.

She's only lived there for roughly 10 years but I guess that's long enough to fake an accent whenever you come back to the states. I can't imagine that she talks like that when she's around native Brits. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. Woman's crazy. The crazy mother-in-law schtick is almost too cliche for me to handle. I half wonder if she's just putting it on to scare me and five years down the road we'll sit around the Christmas tree and laugh about it. One can only hope.

This trip is the first time I've met her. Jaime and I had been dating for three and a half years before he popped the question. I don't think either of us were too eager to rush into anything and the timing seemed perfect. I guess that's a long time to go without meeting the in laws but Jaime's Dad is basically dead to him and his mom lived so far away, I didn't think too much about it. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20 and one must always be prepared to deal with the in laws, no matter how far off it may seem.

"Here's the thing," I say, finding my voice, "I've actually been planning my wedding day since I was a little girl and I know exactly how I want it to go. Bottom line is, it's my wedding day and I'll get what I want."

"Oh dahling," Jaime's mom replies with a glossy smile, "the real bottom line is that I am paying for your wedding day and I won't be paying for anything that I don't agree with."

Jaime nods his head in fervent agreement and even seems to scoot his chair closer to hers. Is this really happening right now?! Well fine. If that's how she wants to play this...that's just fine. But this isn't over. I've got a few tricks up my significantly more fashionable sleeve too.

Just you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment