Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Writing Prompt Wednesday: Senses

In case you've missed the past three prompts, the rules are as follows: Read the prompt and then write yours before you read what I've written or what is in the comments. Then post yours and give feedback on everyone else's. Also if you don't feel like writing, you can just leave feedback.

Here goes.


If you could only have one of your five senses, how would you choose? Could you decide between your daughter's melodic giggle and the joy in her gleaming smile? Would you pick the intoxicating smell of freshly baked cookies or the taste of their soft, chewy perfection in your mouth? Could you give up the feeling of crisp freshly laundered sheets, or a hand intertwined with yours? But they all kind of connect, don't they? What is taste if you can't smell? And how does the sound of a giggle matter if you can't see the face light up? What good is texture if you can't see or hear or taste what you're feeling?

But if I had to choose one, I think it would be touch. Nothing brightens my day quite like a warm embrace, whether from my daughter or husband or a trusted friend. The feeling of someone grasping your hand in excitement or the tickling sensation of someone playing with your hair is something I would miss too much. I couldn't give up the relaxation that comes from a deep massage or the pleasure of long fingernails lightly scratching my back. I love the trance that comes over me when the sun lays a blanket of warmth on my face. Or the feeling of warm sand between my toes or cool, soft grass. 

It might be nice to not constantly be worried about my appearance, it's not like I'd be able to see it anyway. I wouldn't have to worry about gaining weight because without my favorite foods lose their appeal. There are definitely a plethora of smells in the world that I'd rather be spared from and not having to worry about loud obnoxious noises bothering me might be refreshing. Perhaps.

Or perhaps I would miss the myriad of faces my daughter makes everyday, miss seeing her walk on her own, miss how beautiful she looks in her wedding dress. I might miss the taste of gooey, saucy pizza and the zing of the pepperoni. I might miss the scent of cinnamon and pine that signals the start of the Christmas season. I might long for the way music can dance into my ears and change my emotions with its melody.

So instead of choosing, I think I'll be grateful for each sense and the beautiful things they allow me to experience everyday. Things that I may take advantage of. How often do you thank God that you can taste your favorite food or hear your favorite band play? I even love the click of the keyboard or the sound of tap shoes. When was the last time you realized how blessed you were because you can enjoy the incredible colors of a sunset, artful photography, even the look of a newly vacuumed carpet? Are you grateful that you can feel your smooth hair running through your fingers, or cool pool water on your toes?

I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment