Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Thank Goodness for Good Friends

Every so often I need a bit of nostalgia and I head for a visit with my good friends. We hang out a lot, I feel like I know everything about them. There are times when due to our busy schedules, we don't get to spend as much time together as we would like. But the best thing about our relationship is that it doesn't matter how much time we spend apart. When we see each other it's like we pick up right where we left off. It doesn't matter how much has changed in our lives since the last we've visited, as far as we're concerned, we're in exactly the same place we were before. There is something comforting about being together. It reminds me of all the good times we've had and the different stages of life we've both been at.

Whenever we spend time together it goes the same way, it's almost predictable some might say. We're always at my house. At first it was my parents house, when we first met, then my dorm and all the various apartments I've lived in and finally, you get to see me as a homeowner! We've grown up together you and I. And sometimes we go to your house. I've visited you at work and school, you've taken me out to your favorite places to eat and heck, I've even been to your parent's home.

But we don't hang out just the two of us. I appreciate how you've introduced me to all your friends and co-workers. Some of them are quirky, well all of them are quirky but that's what we love about them, you and I. I've met all your boyfriends, a few of which I've liked, but we both have always known who you would end up with. I watched the whole process of you opening your own business and I've always been impressed at your work ethic and your ability to get through anything that has come your way.

I've been with you for all your daughter's big moments too. When she went to that big fancy school, got so smart and graduated college. I cried with you during her valedictorian address and I was with you when we took one last run through her high school hallways. I helped you move her into college and move the old dorm mattress in and out and in and out. I commiserated with you on each of her break ups and sometimes, I too worried she was with the wrong guy. Like the one who kept her out all night, or the other one that helped her steal a yacht. I jumped up and down with you when she landed that big internship and was devastated when she dropped out of school. We've been through all of it together, you and I.


I've been to your town and walked the windy streets. I've been to the crazy events and laughed at the kooky people. I've walked with you in the square on a bright summer day. I've stood with you in my pajamas in the evening of the first snow. I've smelled the crisp, fall connecticut air and enjoyed the colors that come with it. I love your town, I love your friends and I love everything that comes with being in your life.

We've never lived close to each other but that hasn't stopped us from spending time together. Being around you is so exciting. All your successes and, well, not so successful successes. I don't know if I've mentioned it but I've always found your knowledge of pop culture references incredible. And you always have the best spitfire responses to everything. Many of my favorite sayings, I've gotten from you. Although I do blame you for some of my weight gain as well. Somehow you're able to eat anything you want and not get fat but everything I see you eat, I instantly crave.

You are beautiful and you are smart and talented and you know, you've been with me for all the events in my life, big and small. You were with me when I got ready for my high school graduation. And you were there all those nights when I finished my homework but wasn't ready for bed yet. You've gotten me through every break up and you were there when I was homesick and needed a friend. We've been together on road trips and long flights. You've been a common factor with several of my other friends and given us more things in common. You let me veg and be a brain dead couch potato when I needed it and you've sat with me while I work on craft projects and pretend to write papers. You helped me expand my horizons with new movies to watch and books to read.

The only time we spent some time apart was the dark period when I went to Hawaii and you weren't able to come. I missed you so much that when I moved back we spent several straight weeks together.


So thank you for being there for me and giving me a little piece of nostalgia and home whenever I need it. All I have to do is pop in a DVD and there you are. My Gilmore Girls.


***Please excuse this crazy Gilmore Girl fan post. Have you ever felt this way about at TV show. Please tell me so I don't feel like such a loser. What show was it?

Maybe the post should really be on how in this day and age we develop relationships with fictional characters...weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment