Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Why are moms always right? Seriously.

I don't know about your mom, but mine seems to always be right about everything. How is that possible? Is there some kind of special mom training class that moms get when they are pregnant? Or does some little fairy cousin of the tooth fairy come and put magic juice in soon-to-be mothers ears while the sleep for the whole month before they give birth??

What Gives?

I know this may come as a surprise to many of you, but in high school I was not perfect. In fact I was very not perfect. But hey give me a break...I was a teenager. It's a right of passage to be..not perfect right? Well every lie I told my mother, she always knew. (What? Me lie to my mother? No...) Every time I was sneaking around or doing something I wasn't supposed to, she always knew.

And then when I would lie about something and she wasn't buying it, I would make a big show of getting extra offended that she didn't trust me. (I was only a little not perfect *sheepish grin*). The times that she didn't just automatically know that I was up to something, I somehow ended up having a confess-all to her with no coercion. Like in Aladdin when Jafar has that staff that he hypnotizes people with...


except she didn't have any staff that I knew of.

And yet there I was feeling all guilty and confessing my sins.

So this story does have a point.

As of late I have really wanted to not be in college any more. I'm sick of school and homework and having to be somewhere. I'm sick of not having time to keep my house clean and beautiful, not having time to read for pleasure, or to just enjoy time to myself. I'm just always tired.

I was telling my mom this and how I just want to be done with school already, buy a house, have a job and money, and have time to do whatever I want.

Her very smart response was that I shouldn't wish away what I have now. There might be a time that I wish I could come back to the 'easy' days of college and not have to deal with babies crying and cleaning and a mortgage, etc.

Right now these times might seem tough but the fact of the matter is that life just keeps getting harder (generally) and I should enjoy every moment of it.

Wow. Mom knows her stuff.

Since that point, I have really taken that into account. I seriously hated high school at times. But there are moments when I wish I could go back. I was taking dance classes, which I loved. I was in theater, which I loved. I didn't have a lot of ridiculous responsibility.

Now I don't really want to go back to high school. But I like reminiscing about the things I really loved about it.

Chances are, it's going to be the same way when I'm done with college.

I don't want to have to reminisce about all the times I was wishing that I wasn't in school anymore. I want to really take a step back and realize how good I had (have) it.

So, thanks mom. Thanks for setting me straight. Thanks for helping me appreciate how great my life is now. Thanks for always catching me when I was a kid (let's face it that was aprx. 4 years ago). Thanks for guilting me into not being not perfect.

But seriously...is there a class or something? Do you know about the fairy? Like what do I have to do here??

No comments:

Post a Comment