Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Mormon Lent

So traditionally Mormons do not practice lent. However, this year that is exactly what I am going to do. Wanna know more? Read on humans, read on!

Lent: February 22- April 5 = 44 Days

I have decided to give up sugar for lent this year. Part of the reason I am doing it is because of a desire to get healthy and teach my body that I don't need as much sugar as I consume. But the other part is symbolic. It stems from a desire to grow closer to my Heavenly Father and build habits in my life that will help me do that. I am also giving up Netflix. I have a bad habit of starting some new random TV show (lately it's been The Office) and watching hours on end and not getting anything else done. (And by hours I'm talking like 9 in a row. Don't judge.)

So how in the world am I going to manage to go 44 days without sugar?? I'm glad you asked young Skywalker. Firstly I'm only giving up refined sugar (so I can have all the fruit I could possibly want)and I'm still allowing myself healthy things that have sugar, like say my favorite yogurt. But any cookies, cakes, chocolate, candy, sugary cereal, treats, etc. are all off limits. The key is that whenever I want sugar or to watch a show on Netflix I am going to instead do another spiritually uplifting activity. But I'm not one to leave this activity up to chance. I have made a list for every single day of things I will do instead of watching Netflix or eating sugar.

I am also trying extra hard to stay on top of reading my scriptures and praying daily. I'm also going to try and go to the temple at least once a week (that one might be a little more difficult to do, but Ima try). And on top of my spiritual goals, I've also made some physical goals.

Ever heard of Jillian Michaels? She's basically the Bad A of fitness. She's my personal trainer. Okay not really. But I'm alternating doing two of her DVDs: 30 Day Shred and 6 Week 6 Pack. They are each only 20 or 30 minutes and they are KILLER!

Yesterday was the first day of lent and I did smashingly if I do say so myself. It helps that I posted this picture on my baking cabinet (AKA home of the marshmallows, chocolate, and other sugary items):



Oh what's that? You want to know all my secrets about things I am doing to boost my spirituality during lent? Okay I'll tell you. This is my go-to when I want to do something naughty (sugar or Netflix):

Sunday: Research a Gospel Topic 
(like Faith or repentance) 
and write in journal.
Monday: Read the Ensign
Tuesday: Read from a gospel related book.
Here are a few on my list: this one, this one, and this one.
Wednesday: Read Relief Society Lesson
Thursday: Read from a gospel related book.
Friday: Read a church article.
I have taken several religion classes at BYU that come with a packet of articles that I never got around to reading. So Fridays articles come from those packets.
Saturday: Prepare Sunday School Lesson
Chris and I teach the 15 year old Sunday School class every other week. But I decided it would be good to prepare the lesson whether we are teaching or not.

So there you have it folks, a Mormon's lent. Today is day two at 11:40 AM and I've already done my workout and have no desire for any sugar! YAY for me! 



3 comments:

  1. This is awesome Jocie!! You are going to do great! I am going to steal your little weekly schedule there too. I am pretty solid on reading my scriptures, but I have been wanting to add to my scripture study some additional Gospel study. I think your schedule fits the bill perfect! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way another great church book is President Monson's biography, if you haven't read it yet. I am reading it now and am completely enthralled. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you young Jedi. May the force (er spirit) be with you.


    '

    ReplyDelete