Monday, July 28, 2014

Make Something Monday: The best chocolate chip cookies EVER



When we moved to Hawaii, I was going through this phase where I liked eating cookie dough A LOT. But it wasn't good enough to just buy it from the store. I liked my cookie dough minus the chocolate chips. And then one day I realized that I could leave out the eggs and not feel guilty that somewhere my mother just knew that I was breaking the rules. (Oh perhaps the reason she didn't want me eating the dough is because why should anyone consume that much sugar and butter?!).

Unfortunately when I went to Hawaii I didn't bring my cookie recipe and I could not find another one that was up to par. So I was cookie dough-less for almost a year. A tragedy I know. But besides making delicious dough, these cookies turn out perfect like every time. I get compliments on them every time I make them for other people and I'm over here like...what? They're cookies.

So for all my friends who want the recipe and the rest of you who wish you've already tried my cookies, here you go. The recipe is originally from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and I just tweaked it a tad.







Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup shortening (that's crisco)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs (salmonella balls, mom)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup-3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Set your oven to 375. Throw your softened butter and crisco into a mixing bowl and mix until your arm falls off. If you're lucky enough to have an electric mixer, you may opt to use that.

2. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix mix mix. If you're a salmonella hater go ahead and taste some before adding the eggs.

3. Add your eggs and vanilla. Beat it till it's dead ya'll. If your just making the dough, leave those eggs in the chicken.

4. Mix in that flour. Depending on how strong your mixer is, or how many arms you have left, you may need to mix it in gradually.

5. Not using your mixer (hope you haven't lost both arms, or you have a well trained monkey) stir in the chocolate chips. Now this is important, it's the difference between a chocolate overload and a perfect cookie, if you have a whole bag of chocolate chips, only use about 1/4 of the bag. You just want a smattering of chips.

6. Use a spoon to make you some cookie dough balls and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Not too close and not too far apart. Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies might not look all the way done but as long as the edges are golden, you're good to go. Let them cool for a few minutes on the stove before putting them on a cooling rack.

In that few minutes you'll see them transform into cookies that look just plain delectable. But patience ya'll, don't burn your tongue.

7. Now sit in front of a good Netflix marathon, might I recommend How I Met Your Mother, and eat all the cookies. You might want to save some cookie dough for this binge. Add some milk and nachos and you've got yourself a party. Just don't invite anyone, cause who wants to share?!

Jk, go share them before you weigh a million pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment