Sunday, October 27, 2013

2 Months Old: Why I loved my natural birth center birth

Okay so Evie is like 2 1/2 months now but let's be real... Finding time to blog is so hard between moving, working, school and being a mom. But I'm here now so better late than never.
My sweet angel grows bigger by the moment it seems. At her 2 month appt. she was 9lbs 7oz. She just a little thing. She is below average in weight and above average in height. She'll be tall and skinny just like her daddy. 
She still takes a lot of naps during the day bit when she's awake she's so playful. She's turning into such a little person with the cutest personality. Before she only randomly smiled like it was a facial tick but now when I talk to her and smile a lot she smiles back and tries to giggle sometimes. It's heart melting stuff. 


She sleeps really well at night. She only wakes up once to eat and since I've mastered nursing while horizontal in bed I barely have to even wake up. The hardest part is going to be when Evie stops sleeping with us and we put her on her own bed. Not as hard for her as it is for us. We love cuddling with her and we don't have to go far to ensure that she's ok.

Now, as the title of this post promised, I'm going to tell you what I loved most about my natural birth center birth. Keep in mind that this is 2 and a half months after the fact and mother's amnesia regarding the pain has already kicked in (thank heavens). 
Oh and one more little gem for you, I've added photos to Evie's birth story. Go check them out. They were done by my sister-in-law, Kensie M Photography. She is crazy talented! 

Ok here goes: 
5 Reasons I Loved My Natural Birth Center Birth

1. It was all about me. 

Now since this is my first baby I've obviously never given birth in a hospital. But from stories I've heard and read, I've deduced that you don't feel like everyone is at your beck and call. 

At the birth center I was the only patient. I didn't have to wait for a doctor when I was ready to push. I didn't have nurses walking in and interrupting my focus to check a chart. I was in my nice quiet atmosphere and a midwife was a shout away if I needed them and otherwise my husband and I were left to do our thing. And when it came time to push, the room was full of supportive female voices telling me how incredible I was. 

2. It was so cozy. 

Even though we didn't do it at home, it felt like home. It wasn't a stark white, sterile smelling, cold uncomfortable hospital bed. It was a king size bed that my husband could get in with me. Honestly it felt like a hotel room. It was cozy and it didn't have to clean up after myself. 

3. My birth plan was the rule not the guideline. 

I gave my midwife my birth plan several weeks before I went into labor. When we called to say we were coming in she and the other midwives were able to pull it out and review it so they knew what I wanted before I got there. 

When you're in labor, your mind is. It always in it's right place. It is so nice to have someone who is striving to give you what you want and not taking advantage of your "in labor brain" to do what is easiest for them. 

Birth is not the time to be arguing for what you want. You should be able to relax and just give birth.

4. I felt like: "I am woman, hear me roar"

I understand why people get drugs to help with the pain of labor. I get it. Labor is painful. But I felt so in control without them. My movements, my mind, my body: none of it was hindered by medications, IVs, or being hooked up to machines. I wasn't strapped to a bed. I could move however I needed to so that I could manage the pain of contractions. When all was said and done, I could move around, not stopped by something numbing my legs. Evelyn and I had bonding time without either of us having foggy minds due to drugs.

Looking back at how difficult everything was, I don't feel discouraged, I feel powerful. If I could do that, I can do anything. I am strong, I have power, I am woman, hear me roar!

5. Evelyn is a REALLY good baby. 

I don't know if it's because she wasn't exposed to any drugs, but Evie is so good. She's not colicky, she doesn't cry for no reason. She doesn't cry excessively. She cries to get our attention to let us know she needs something like a diaper change or to eat or a nap. I'd like to think it's because I spent my whole pregnancy trying to be healthy, not taking any medications, and I spent the very last moments of my pregnancy doing the same thing.

Are you planning on a natural birth yourself? I'm happy to answer any questions and offer plenty of support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment