Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

I can't believe I only have three weeks of my internship left! I've been having so much fun and I'm actually learning a lot about the industry.

Monday and Wednesday I work 'dayshift' where I usually get sent out on stories like openings of a building or a fundraiser, and other stuff like that; nothing too hard hitting. I interview people and then back at the station I choose the perfect sound byte (SOT=Sound On Tape) to use in the story that airs that evening and I get to write the voice over (VO) that the anchor reads while the footage we shot plays. This story is called a VO-SOT (Voice Over-Sound On Tape). Then I write a version of that story for the web.

Thursday and Friday I do the morning show which is called Sunrise. I sometimes help write VOs or find the 'Viral Video' of the day but usually I just go get guests for the show from whichever of the three lots they parked at and get them where they need to be for the show.

So now that you know what I do, I'll show you some of my favorite stories that I've done.
This is Steve Uyehara, an anchor for the morning show. Apparently there is some running joke about reporters helping the photogs carry equipment so they took this photo to show they were teaching me the ropes, (I didn't have to carry the stuff that time, but I have before, in 4 in heels no less.)

I got to interview Senator Inouye at the opening of a new child development center on Ford Island for military families.
I got to witness my first live shot.

The story was on an e-waste drive. This is some of the old electronics they had as a demonstration. That bottom left is a laptop. Say What?!

L-R: Jenn Robbins (weather and live shots) Paul (photographer), Me (Intern)

I went on my second live shot of a pumpkin carving festival where a 'Pumpkin Master' was carving hugenormous pumpkins!

And I put on some mom jeans



I met the Mayor,

and some adorable little kids for 'Be Safe, Be Seen, It's Halloween'

My third live shot was a little more intense. It was a breaking news story that I had to be at, at 3am where only a couple hours earlier, a 19 yo man stabbed his grandmother leaving her in critical condition.

This is Ramsay Wharton, the morning reporter who usually goes out on breaking news stories.

Once they took the crime tape down we went up to the apartment where it happened and could see straight in the window. It was sorta freaky. We talked to neighbors and found out that the guy was a little messed up in the head. At one point he chewed through his finger, down to the bone.

I covered a Veteran's Day parade




I played investigative reporter to get more info on a boat that was grounded. (He didn't clean his room).


I got to work election night which was a blast! I spent the whole night answering angry phone calls from people in line to vote at polling locations where they ran out of paper ballots and only had one electronic machine. I think it was like 20 locations by the end of the night and some people waited around until like 8:30 or 9. It was a long night.

I did a story on a naturalization ceremony and got to watch about 100 people become American citizens.

This Chinese ballet company was one of the guests in the morning show.

I met Clinton Kelly from What Not to Wear and he said he liked my shirt. I owe my bestie Alena a big thanks for that because it was a hand-me-down.

I met the Mayor again at the start of the Salvation Army's kettle bell fundraiser

My most recent and certainly most emotional story was at the homecoming of a Navy ship.


There was a very excited jittery energy in the air.


I couldn't help but tear up when this little girl ran at full speed to meet her dad and bury her head in his neck.

It was a really sweet story. Many of the families hadn't seen their father/husband in over a year.


Well with just three weeks to go I'm really hitting crunch time. I'm going to try and make the most out of the rest of my internship and do as much as I can. I seriously cannot believe how fast time has gone. 

So be on the look out within the next month or so, I'll be posting all the standups and packages I've filmed during my internship and believe me...you will not want to miss this!











No comments:

Post a Comment