Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rain, rain come to stay

I woke this morning to the soft pitter patter of rain on my window. I love rain. I love the smell of it and the sound of it and the way it makes the day feel. I really didn't want to get up and get ready for work. Then, much to my surprise, Chris got a phone call from Hanauma Bay.

"Good Morning Chris, this is a service call to let you know that Hanauma bay has been closed for an undisclosed reason. Thank you and enjoy the rainy day."

Unexpected? Yes. Unappreciated? No. With that good news, we cuddled back underneath our blanket and drifted off into a light morning sleep. When we finally did wake up, an hour and a half later, the rain was still steadily beating on our window. We rolled out of bed and made a delicious warm breakfast of homemade waffles with gooey syrup, fluffy eggs with cheese, and hot chocolate.

After breakfast I opened the windows to let in the rainy breeze and light mist of water making its way through the screen. I wrapped myself in my oversize, blue fleece blanket and settled into the couch, putting my steaming mug of hot chocolate on the coffee table, to watch a Simpson's marathon. I barely pushed the play button and heard the familiar theme song start to play, when Chris rushed into the living room, hands still wet from washing the breakfast dishes.
"You started it without me?!" he questioned in dismay and poked his bottom lip out for further emphasis.
"Only a little," I said, opening my blanket and pulling him inside.

Two hot chocolate refills and five episodes later, we turned off the tv and I just laid in his arms and listened to the rain. "I think I'm going to go read for a bit," I said as I headed into our bedroom in search of my latest book, "Two for the Dough". I found it right where I left it, on my dresser next to my bed.

I dragged my blanket outside where the rain had begun to come down in sheets and wind was howling away. I sat down on the porch swing on our wraparound porch. I sat and watched the trees sway and felt the brisk wind on my face, the rest of my body shielded by my trusty fleece blanket.

I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and finally went inside at the insistence of my growling stomach. Lunch was a girl cheese sandwich for me and a boy cheese sandwich for Chris and hot tomato soup.

We ended the day on a sweet note, by turning our kitchen into a bakery. We made chewy chocolate chip cookies and sweet banana bread and of course, funfetti cupcakes with buttercream frosting and plenty of sprinkles. Not long afterward we fell into a peaceful sugar coma and ended our perfect rainy day.

************************

This perfect day was made up for so many reasons. For one we don't have a porch swing. Or a wraparound porch. Or a porch for that matter. So instead this morning when I woke up to the rain I got up and went to work to stand out in the cold wetness and offer people rides to the beach. But I like my pretend version better. Sometimes it's just more fun to pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment