Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Maunawili Falls


So it turns out that to get to this cute little waterfall where people love to jump off into the water, you have to hike. You have to hike a lot. And if it has rained recently that hike is very muddy and very slippery.

Somehow we missed the whole hike aspect and showed up in flip flops. Boy, was that a mistake. It was so muddy that we ended up just going barefoot to avoid slipping. There is something satisfying about feeling the mud squish in between your toes.
The biggest problem about this whole hike thing is that is was three miles and not especially easy. I was just barely starting to get over the whole wanting to puke my guts up 24/7 stage of pregnancy and the most exercise I had done was walking from my bed to the bathroom. So we took our sweet time and took A LOT of breaks.






In normal conditions (not newly pregnant and with proper footwear) the hike would have been great. It was pretty and there were great views.


But the mud was pretty fun too.

When we finally made it, it took some coaxing to get me into the water.

And some more coaxing to convince me to jump off the waterfall. But I did it:


Here's Chris jumping off.



And here we do it together!


And lastly, our nasty, very sore feet at the end of the day.

Verdict: It was a blast and I highly recommend it. (And it's FREE!)There's no way you could bring a stroller but I did see people with kids (albiet crying kids, but kids nonetheless). Make sure you bring water and wear hiking shoes and a bathing suit!

And in case you don't see anyone who knows where they're going, when you get down the stairs to the water, cross the water and there is a trail on the other side. Don't take the 'trail' to the right of the water.

Enjoy! And comment and let me know what you thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment